Sheetal Kamat

I had first had it at my uncles place and I loved it. So asked mom to prepare it, she has tried this vegetable so quite a few times and she has never succeeded. I guess this is the only thing my mom couldn't get it right. When I moved to Bangalore, and for few days when I was staying with my cousin Sangeeta tai, they prepared it once. That's when I learnt how to clean it, prepare it from her and her mother in law. So here is the recipe for you.

Banana Flower Vegetable
Ingredients
1 Banana Flower
1 Spoon Red Chilli Powder
1/4 Spoon Garam Masala
1/4 Spoon Jaggery
1/4 Spoon Mustards
1/4 Spoon Corriander Powder
1/4 Spoon Jeera Powder
A pinch of Asafoetida
Salt to taste
Oil

Method
  • Cleanup the banana flower
  • Cook finely chopped flower in the cooker for 2-3 whistles
  • Remove the water and keep it aside
  • Heat oil in a pan and let the mustard sputter in it
  • Add asafoetida and cooked banana flower
  • Add the red chilli powder, garam masala, corriander powder, jeera powder, jaggery and salt
  • Let it cook for couple of minutes

Notes
The most important part of this vegetable is to clean the flowers, you need to open the covers and clean the flowers. I have uploaded image which shows exactly what needs to be removed. When the flowers become too small to open up, you can just use them just like that. Keep it soaked in water and throw this water while cutting it

3 comments:
  1. Ajoy Nandi said...

    did u make this recently or while i was there ?


  2. yes i had prepared it when you were here, but then didnt take photos :) over weekend i prepared it again and took photo too :)


  3. braddie G said...

    Thank you for sharing this banana recipe. It seems really simple and easy to cook, I will cook soon, will share the feedback along with photos.


Related Posts with Thumbnails